2-day Admissions Workshop - all expenses paid - 25th & 26th March 2024
Following the success of the 2023 pilot workshop, we are once again offering a two-day admissions workshop in March 2024 hosted by St Hugh's College, and aimed at students who might not normally consider applying to Oxford, or who have been disadvantaged during their education. The aim is to demystify Oxford and the admissions process, find out more about what makes a good application, what assessors are looking for, how to write a good CV, participate in an interview workshop and meet current academics and students. Explore Oxford, and get to know your way around, before you make your application. Admission to the workshop is limited, and based on the merits of each candidate taking into account their individual context. Priority will be given to UK resident, state educated candidates for whom at least one of the following is true:
- have ever been in care
- have been a young carer
- have been eligible for free school meals
- come from a low-income background
- belong to an ethnic group that is under-represented at Oxford (Black or Mixed Black, Bangladeshi or Mixed Bangladeshi, and Pakistani or Mixed Pakistani)
- be the first generation in your family to go to university
Candidates will arrive the day before and stay overnight so we can make the most of the short time we have. Candidates coming from afar can request to stay for three nights if it's not possible (or safe) to get home after the workshop on day 2.
The outline for the workshop is as follows:
9.30 am Start
- Welcome & ice breaker
- What is a DTP anyway?
- The application process step-by-step
- How to approach supervisors
- What assessors are looking for in an application
11 - 11.30 Break
- Building a CV & increasing your research experience
Lunch and mixer with students
- Student Panel Q&A
- Scavenger Hunt round Oxford
- What is imposter syndrome?
- Interview workshop & how to sell your experience
- Interview practise
Lunch and mixer with academic staff
Some elements of the workshop will be filmed. Your consent to be filmed will be sought on the application form.
An application form will be released closer to the event.
Deadline for applications is 9am on Monday 11th March 2024.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with email@example.com